In Chicago, federal police handcuffed Democratic Congressmember Luis Gutiérrez along with activists and lawyers Monday, after they held a sit-in protest at a federal immigration office. Gutiérrez says the group refused to leave the Chicago office of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE, after the agency’s regional director refused to answer his questions about the Trump administration’s plans for immigration sweeps and mass deportation. For more, we speak with Democratic Congressmember Luis Gutiérrez of Illinois, co-chair of the Immigration Task Force of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
- The New COINTELPRO? Meet the Activist the FBI Labeled a “Black Identity Extremist” & Jailed 5 Months
- Poor People’s Movement Continues Wave of Nonviolent Civil Disobedience
- Stop Using Discriminatory AI, Human Rights Groups Say
- How to Wrestle Your Data From Data Brokers, Silicon Valley — and Cambridge Analytica
- Voices from the Mass Shooting Generation: Youth from Around Country Descend on D.C. to Demand Change